Pages

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Interview with Anna Laube

June 16, 2008

Interview by Scott Preston

Photos by Cooper Carras

anna laubeAnna Laube’s (pronounced "Lau" like "how" and "be" like "to be or not to be") pan-genre (country/blues/Americana/indie) folk music is, in the words of one her critics, "Acoustic, atmospheric, wide open, and western. Dirt covered highways and the setting sun" (CDReviews.com). It’s simple and relaxed, derived as much from the American folk-troubadour tradition as it is from neo-indie-folkies like Ani Difranco and Cat Power.

Born in Iowa City, IA, a place replete with roots musicians, Anna began taking classical piano lessons at age three, and later studied some boogie woogie tunes with David Zollo (Greg Brown, Bo Ramsey, Todd Snider). She took up saxophone, oboe and violin in secondary school, and after moving to Madison, WI, picked up the guitar at age 14 after hearing a rendition of The Indigo Girls’ song, "Ghost."

Like a rolling stone...Anna continued to develop as a songwriter and headed to sunny California. Her debut album, "Outta My Head," is self-produced, recorded in Bay Area living rooms and in the studio with Birger Olsen of Town Rill, Nick Moran, and Jason Quever of The Papercuts. Engineered, mixed and mastered by Mark Whitcomb and Jason Quever, the album has received both national and international airplay. Currently available directly from her record label, Gingko Records, at Google Checkout, or on iTunes, Cdbaby, or Amazon, "Outta My Head" is a great introduction to Anna Laube's unique voice. Anna is currently working on her sophomore album, entitled “Love Is Your Destiny,” due out in 2009. (from annalaube.com)

anna laubeCincy Groove: So are you recording a new cd?

Anna Laube: Kind of, I did some recording back in December and I hope to do some more in July when I go out to the Northwest and then the west coast. There is a player out there I want to do some recording with. Its not going particularly quickly. I'm not really worried about the slow pace at all, I'm just trying to take my time with the next one. Besides I feel my first record is still getting out there.

Cincy Groove: Whats the recording process been like so far with what you have done for your next record?

Anna Laube: There hasn't been much of a process yet. I just took one day with three other people into the studio and laid down a bunch of live tracks. I will probably use some of what we recorded, but I also think I might do what I did the first record. Just being in my living room, really low key, with just a computer, microphone and see what happens.

Read the full interview here

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice interview, Scott!